Coffee Cake is a delicacy that is loved by Coffee lovers all over the world, but this recipe is perfect for anyone that appreciates a dark moist cake with a sweet caramel taste.
Caramel is a great filling that compliments the "bitter" taste of coffee. It actually brings out the flavor more by adding just enough. You can even replace the milk with buttermilk to make it even moister, but remember that when you change an ingredient you have to take the formula into consideration.
COFFEE CAKE RECIPE
175 gr Softened Baking Butter
175 gr Castor Sugar
3 Eggs, beaten
280 gr (sifted) Self Raising Flour
100 ml Strong Quality Coffee
125 ml Milk
125 gr Butter
3 tbsp Castor Sugar
575 gr Icing Sugar
Shaved Chocolate (for decoration) optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line two 20 cm baking pans (preferable aluminum pans) with baking paper.
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Fold in the flour and coffee.
- Do not over mix.
- Split the batter between the two pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes (can be less, depending on your oven).
When you start to smell the cake it is a good indication that the baking time is almost over.
Switch on your oven light on and first look through the window to see if it is changing color.
You can then test to see if it is ready by inserting a kebab stick. If it comes out clean it is baked.
To make the icing:
- Put milk and butter in pan and heat gently until melted.
- Remove from heat and put aside.
- Add sugar in saucepan and heat gently until it is totally dissolved and turned to caramel.
- Remove from heat and stir in the warm milk.
- Return to heat and stir until all is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add icing sugar.
- Beat until icing is smooth and spreadable.
- Let it cool before filling the cake.
- Cover the cake with a thin layer of caramel and add chocolate flakes on the top.